Autism App for iPad - Communicate Easy
Communicate Easy is a highly affordable app for the iPad® that can be used to help communicate with people with language or learning difficulties. The app is geared towards special needs children such as those with Autism, Aspergers, ADD, or ADHD, but is also beneficial to younger children who are not yet verbal.
"The Communicate Easy app is an excellent programme for those with autism and significant language problems and I urge parents and teachers to seriously consider downloading the app for the children they love and support."
- Professor Tony Attwood
Screenshots are from version 4.0 and 4.2
The app allows a parent/caregiver to create a library of the objects and activities that relate directly to the individual. It provides a fully customizable picture communication system without the need to print out cards and it allows you to create these picture cards in the structure of your choosing.
Communicate Easy - Quick Video Tour
Note: this video was made on version 1.0 (Current version is 4.2)
Some of the Features
Flexible Picture Communication System
A user can create folders to contain any number of cards or other folders.
For example, you could have a folder named Animals, under that you could have folders for Wild Animals, Birds, Insects and Zoo Animals. You could then have folders under these, eg. Sea Birds, Birds of Prey under Birds. The structure can be whatever suits the purpose and individual.
Apply pictures, videos, sounds and states to the Visual Prompts
The user can:
- add their own pictures from the image gallery or inbuilt camera, crop them and rotate them, if required.
- add videos from the camera roll, the application folder or from the inbuilt camera.
- add a sound to play when the card is tapped or use the built-in voice synthesizer.
- add a sound effect to reinforce the meaning of the card (picture cards only).
- apply a state to the card to indicate whether it is available or not.
- quickly restrict choices by managing all the card states for a single folder in one screen
- Change the background colours.
- reorder the cards as required
Ability to Setup Picture / Video Schedules / Books
A user can:
- Create a folder with items that can be ticked off as completed and teach the individual the importance of schedules and routines through visual prompts.
- Three example schedules are also provided with the app.
- Add books to a folder to further help teach processes and to help to deal with challenging situations (such as going to the hairdresser!).
- Use search to find cards within the app
- From search items can be included within a clipboard where they can be reordered.
- Items in the clipboard can be made into choice boards, schedules and First Then boards.
Create Multiple Libraries
If the app is being used by multiple individuals just create a new library name and restart the app to have a library that is tailored for each individual.